Sunday, January 6

THE SHIRTS - INNER SLEEVE (1980)


















After Mike Thorne had the band all over the map on their second album, "Street Light Shine", the Shirts' third and final disc, "Inner Sleeve", finds Juice Newton/Jackie DeShannon producer John Palladino teamed up with Blood, Sweat & Tears/Steely Dan guitarist Georg Wadenius and they bring out the pop side of Annie Golden's band on these 11 tracks. The niche they've settled into here is the melodic short songtunes essential to the new wave, which, after all, was garage bands looking to find the most fun elements of '60s radio hits and exploit them to become rock stars. Golden had the talent to ride the charts along with Blondie, the Go Go's and, the Cars, and this album has the band headed in the right direction -- it's just too bad they quit after finding their groove here. "Inner Sleeve" is an inviting performance, especially for those who never encountered the other work by the truly underrated Shirts. AMG

Songs
I'm Not One Of Those / One Last Chance / Can't Get It Through My Head / I've Had It / I Don't Wanna Know / Pleasure Is The Pain / As Long As The Laughter Lasts / Too Much Trouble / Hanging Around / Small Talk / Time (Has Seen Me Lonely)

16 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

DRaftervoi said...

There is a live Shirts show from 1979, recorded at the Paradiso. It's available in streaming internet audio at: http://legendarischlive.kro.nl/alleconcerten.aspx

Billy Z said...

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

DRaftervoi said...

You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot !
Sound is perfect !
Hope you post the street light shine too ?
If you want the vinyl rip I did, just tell me ;-)
Regards
rush2112

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

I've been looking for this for some time. I have the vinyl but can't play it.

angelo said...

hi rush
i'll be glad to post the 2nd LP, can u provide some scans of the cover (front + back)

Anonymous said...

I also have some early live tracks of the Shirts (70's) on an old double vinyl "live at the CBGB". Great post, thanx!

Anonymous said...

been looking for years after this.
have the original vinyl but it's
worn out after playing it for years. thank you a million times.
annie golden....what a cutie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for The Shirts - Inner Sleeve. You have absolutely no idea how long I have been looking for a digital version of it. That album came out at the happiest period of my life. My LP album was destroyed over the years. Hearing it again truly brought a few tears to my eyes. Thanks so very much.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody have "Cyrinda" the B. side to The Shirts "Tell me your plans 7" single I would really appreciate that

alienlanes said...

I never thought I'd get to hear this again. Thank you so much!

djeddieo said...

man, can I tell you...a few months ago I was trying to remember "what the heck was that Shirts song I loved in the 80s?" Searched YouTube and elsewhere, found a few tunes, but never THE ONE. Now, my best friend from those days just found a box of cassettes in his basement and on one is "I'm Not One of Those", which was it! The tape was made from my vinyl LP, which had the hole a little off-center, and I had reamed it a bit and tried to center it on the turntable. Needless to say, it sounds warped and skips. Thanks a million for posting this. "I'm Not One of Those" isn't anywhere else on the web!

Anonymous said...

Please help me I'm looking for
The Shirts - Only the Dead Know Brooklyn.

Gerrit

Anonymous said...

I use to have the cassette tape and wore it out, love this album. Thanks for sharing.