Wednesday, May 20

SPARKS - TV SHOWS (1975)












Promoting the release of "Propaganda" (1975), Sparks made various television appearances including NBC’s Midnight Special, ABC’s In Concert (introduced by Keith Moon and Ringo Starr) and Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert.

Also created by Don Kirschner, ABC's In Concert was a television series which premiered on September 21, 1972, as part of ABC's Friday night Wide World of Entertainment programming. Alice Cooper appeared on that first episode.

By the mid-1970s, Don Kirshner moved on to create the syndicated series Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, and Dick Clark took over ABC's In Concert.The Don Kirshner's Concert was filmed at the New York Beacon Theater. At that time, the Mael Brothers were accompanied by Trevor White, Ian Hampton (both from the legendary band Jook) and Dinky Diamond (who played on their most famous "Island" albums). Wikipedia.

Special note: I got these two concerts some years ago in DVD NTSC format, i then converted them to XviD4 NTSC (two-pass compression, resolution 720x480). You'll need both parts of each concert to unrar the files.

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert (1 - 2)
Something For the Girl With Everything / Talent is an Asset / Hasta Manana Monsieur / Thank God it's Not Christmas / B.C. / Here in Heaven

Running Time: 24'08
Size: 305 mb

ABC's In Concert (1 - 2)
Something For The Girl With Everything / Talent Is An Asset / B.C. / Amateur Hour

Running Time: 16'04
Size: 203 mb

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I remember seeing Sparks for the first time on these programs as a 14 year old (stayin' up late on a Friday night). We all became big fans of the Mael brothers and for a handful of albums they could do no wrong (then they hooked up with Moroder, and, well... )

Thanks for posting these Angelo - I hope I can get them to work!

-mk-

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great Sparks post,you always share so many surprises.Thank you again.-Richard

Anonymous said...

Hey Angelo, it's Greg again - You RULE for posting these! BIG thanks!

Anonymous said...

A thousand thank yous! The crowd reaction shots on the ABC show are priceless - some of those youngsters looked stunned - you'd think they'd never before seen a band with a falsetto singing fop and Hitler on keyboards. Oh wait, I guess they hadn't.

Anything Should Happen said...

Brilliant stuff.

I've a load of Sparks Video that I can dig out as time allows.

All the video stuff is boxed up and I'd have to convert but if you're interested.

I've put some Sparks stuff on my blog and i'm currently sifting through live tapes, some good FM stuff.

http://anythingshouldhappen.blogspot.com/

chocolatejesus said...

huge thanks!!!
any chance of you uploading the shows as lossless dvd format(vob)?
i've been searching for these for a long time!