Tuesday, November 15

VARIOUS - SHARP CUTS (1980)
Sharp Cuts features some great music. Ric Ocasek of the Cars produces ex-La Peste Peter Dayton's "Last Supper," as well as the Fast's brilliant "Kids Just Wanna Dance." Both songs are highlights here, but Bates Motel's "Live Among the Dancers" and Single Bullet Theory's "Keep It Tight" get high marks for memorable hooks. Everything on Sharp Cuts is worthwhile, including Chris Stamey's "Soul Kiss," performed by the dB's and produced by Alan Betrock; and Gary Valentine & The Know's "I Like Girls" - definite power pop that rocks. Industry veteran Michael Barackman was one of the three who produced this for Richard Perry's Planet label. USA Today's Ken Barnes provides his always-excellent liner notes, and the only pity here is that there weren't a whole slew of these type of discs released on major labels with a little more help from their friends. Now had Ric O'Casek put one of the Cars non-LP B-sides here, had there been just a bit more high profile stuff to go along with these ten delicious tracks, who knows what might have happened? Had the Willys' producer Robbie Krieger got the three other members of the Doors to do a track bringing more interest to this great disc, maybe Billy Thermal's "I'm Gonna Follow You" might have made him a household name. Instead, Sharp Cuts turned into a collectors item -- a really nice document of power pop and underground rock that you have to go searching for. AMG
ZS (205 mb)

Songs (Bands)
Keep It Tight Single (Bullet Theory) / I'm Gonna Follow You (Billy Thermal) / Live Among the Dancers (Bates Motel) / Last Supper (Peter Dayton) / Black Haired Girl (The Alley Cats) / I Like Girls (The Know) / She's Illegal (The Willys) / Kids Just Wanna Dance (The Fast) / Soul Kiss (The dB's) / Unable (Suburban Lawns)

3 comments:

Shriner said...

Excellent share. The Billy Thermal song I first heard covered on Pat Benatars "Crimes of Passion". Hopefully, he made a lot of money off that.

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

I have this on record but it will be more fun on my IPOD; thanks

Anonymous said...

That Suburban Lawns track is a SHARP CUT indeed! Thanks so much Angelo!!

Skip