Wednesday, August 24

DANCING HOODS - 12 JEALOUS ROSES (1985)


















Formed on Long Island, Dancing Hoods (following a self-released eponymous EP) debuted with familiar-sounding heartland rock on "12 Jealous Roses", a confident and likable collection of tuneful originals. Singer-guitarist (and future A&R executive) Bob Bortnick, guitarist-singer (and future Sparklehorse leader) (Freddy) Mark Linkous and bassist-singer Eric Williams (who actually has the most writing credits here) pen simple rockers about the usual topics and deliver them in a melodic cut-to-the-chase style that isn't all that dissimilar to, say, the Del-Lords. In 1988, the Dancing Hoods released their second album, "Hallelujah Anyway". "Baby's Got Rockets" was somewhat successful on college radio. The group then moved to Los Angeles to look for a major-label deal. However, they were unable to find one and the band split up afterward. Mark Linkous & Sparklehorse developed a cult following that renewed interest in the Dancing Hoods. Trouser Press

Special note: This is a brand new rip which comes complete with the usual full set of artwork suitable for jewel case CD. It has been made with a little help from an old fellow partner, powerpopster to the core. It is now available in lossy and lossless formats.

LINKS: mp3 (320) or FLAC

Songs
1. Pleasure / 2. Impossible Years / 3. Build a House / 4. Blue Letter / 5. Girl Problems / 6. Surfing All Over The World / 7. Bye Bye Jim / 8. Watching You Sleep / 9. (Take My) Chances / 10. She May Call You Up Tonight / 11. Wild and The Lonely

7 comments:

KevinB said...

Thanks, I'm from Long Island...good band!!

cdechandt said...

Thanks Angelo. I recently picked up a copy of Hallelujah Anyway and look forward to hearing this release.

Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favorite albums, and gawd knows I've put Build A House on many a girlfriends' mixtapes.
C in California

Anonymous said...

Thanks, thanks Angelo.This record it´s very dificult.The next.....The Fool Face???::))

Angel PPA.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new rip, flac and really nice job on the art. Looks and sounds great.

Marc

The Pontificator said...

Thank you very much for posting this. Now all I need is to find "Hallelujah Anayway" of which I had a copy back in '88 (cassette).

mikaelj said...

Hallelujah Anyway is available from Amazon.com for USD 2.55 used.
I ordered my copy yesterday.