Friday, September 24

EPIC SOUNDTRACKS - RISE ABOVE (1992)


















Perhaps best known as a co-founder of British post-punkers the Swell Maps, Epic Soundtracks reinvented himself as an eccentric, critically acclaimed piano balladeer during the ’90s. Epic Soundtracks (born Kevin Paul Godfrey and brother of Nikki Sudden) writes affecting piano ballads and mid-tempo pieces with an ease that belies how good these songs are. Though J. Mascis (drums on two tracks) and Kim Gordon (voice on “Big Apple Graveyard“) do contribute, this is Epic’s show; he provides most of the music and all the magic. Many songs have a traditional feel and sound strangely familiar. AMG

Songs
Fallen Down / Farmer’s Daughter / Ruthless / Everybody Else Is Wrong / I Feel Good / Big Apple / Graveyard / I Don’t Know / Meet Me On The Beach / Sad Song / She Sleeps Alone_Love Fucks You Up / Wild Situation / She Sleeps Alone

3 comments:

Ricard BCN said...

Lovely record! It's woth remembering the late Epic Soundtracks

Anonymous said...

this is an excellent record -- one I have but one I am thrilled to see you've posted because the man and the music deserve to be remembered

boxnumber939

Hebdomeros said...

This is a lovely, underrated record. Thanks for promoting. I like all his records, and highly recommend his protegees The Chamber Strings as well.