KIRSTY MacCOLL - DESPERATE CHARACTER (1981)
1981 saw Kirsty's first album released on Polydor. In style it was poppy with early evidence of the Kirsty "wall of sound". Back of sleeveChip Shop is the strongest track but teenage angst prevails throughout. Getting out of "this place" and boy songs set the lyrical tone of the album. The Kirsty penned Teenager in love, See that girl and Clock goes round are all decent enough pop songs which give a clue that there was a real talent emerging here. This is the best collection of the early MacColl in action.
Produced by Nick Lowe with ace sidemen Billy Bremner, Philip Rambow, Lew Lewis and Gavin Povey who helped her whip up a lively rock-country-pop stew that could be a female-led Rockpile. Never released on CD, some tracks later recycled on compilations. kirstymaccoll.com
Songs
Clock Goes Round / See That Girl / There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis / Teenager In Love / Mexican Sofa / Until The Night / Falling For Faces / Just One Look / The Real Ripper / Hard To Believe / He Thinks I Still Care / There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis (country version)
13 comments:
pwd: password
super, super, super album. Lucky enough to see Kirsty in Chicago before her untimely demise.
I have been a shameless anonymous leech for too long! I've been stuck at home the last week recuperating from 2nd degree burns on my arm, and your blog + vicodin have made me very very happy! Thank you so much for your efforts. I've been looking for some of these lps for ages. I promise to comment more often. Thanks, again!
Thanks so much for this.
I have a well-worn cassette copy of this, but nothing to play it on!
I've been looking for this in used record shops for years--YEARS I tell you.
May blessings rain upon your head. A downpour of them. You've made my DECADE!
Great artist, great album, great post!!
When this album came out, I immediately fell in love with Kirsty. It's very dear to me. Thanks again! I still miss her.
I've only ever been able to listen to one side of this album (Desperate Character) ... side two of my vinyl copy was scratched beyond being playable, never mind listenable, and since it was an import, the record store wouldn't take it back, and wouldn't order another copy. So thank you for making my introduction to Kirsty MacColl finally complete.
I don't imagine you still have this up somewhere do you? I just discovered your blog and I'm dying to find this album forever...
swivek,
Click around a little more closely.
The link is still alive even this far down the road. :-)
Thanks for a great share
R
Thanks so much, have an old cassette of this, but now I can put it on my iPod. Wish this would come out on CD. R.I.P. Kirsty...
Thanks a million. I've got the CD somewhere, but was able to find it quickly on your wonderful blog to get my Kirsty fix! :)
Post a Comment