Saturday, August 18

THE AKRON COMPILATION (1978)

















First of all, scratch 'n' sniff the screen on the front cover to experience the delightful fragrance of akron...the rubber city.

Released in 1978, the artists on the Akron Compilation shared the same geographical location. Given the cloudy state of things in the area, it's hard to tell where one band and another begins (all tracks segue into one another). For instance, Chris Butler was a member of The Numbers Band, a snatch of whose music is heard during some radio static. Then he formed The Waitresses with three songs featured. He's also with Tin Huey who contributed one cut. The other known bands involved are the Rubber City Rebels, The Bizarros. Rachel Sweet and Jane Aire & The Belvederes contribute with two cuts each, maybe the best stuff they will ever produce.

Songs
Jane Aire (When I Was Young) / Tin Huey (Chinese Circus) / Rachel Sweet (Truckstop Queen) / The Bizarros (Nova) / The Waitresses (The Comb) / Rubber City Rebels (Rubber City Rebels) / The Waitresses (Slide) / Jane Aire (I'm an Actress) / Sniper (Love Is Making Me Bleed) / Idiots Convention (Mephistopheles' Passion) / Rachel Sweet (Tourist Boys) / Terraplane (Beer and a Cigarette) / Chi-Pig (Apu-Api (Help Me)) / The Waitresses (Clones)

10 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

Anonymous said...

I have this on vinyl.

Stiff Records...complete with a 'scratch & sniff' panel that was supposed to smell of rubber (tyre/tire city, see?)

Unfortunately it smelt of cat sick and I've forever associated Akron with trips to the vet.

Howie

Anonymous said...

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!

Rinjo Njori said...

thats awesome--- i'm loving this especialy the waitresses

beyesn said...

Just wondering idf you have something I am seeking: The Grip Weeds' "House of Vibes" (1994) album.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!!

I have this on vinyl, but cannot play it at present. Good to be able to listen to this great album!

Electronick Brane said...

hee hee ha ha excellent

Stephanie Smanto said...

My dad plays guitar on Mephistopheles' Passion by Idiots Convention on the Plateside.

Jeff Reding, Cleveland said...

My album cover still smells like rubber when you scratch it!!! On e of my favourite punk albums of all time. But I'm not so sure that Butler was with the Numbers Band.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'm discovering Rachel Sweet, what set of pipes!