Sunday, August 26

BOBBY SUTLIFF - ONLY GHOSTS REMAIN (1987)

After the Windbreakers' Run (1986), Bobby Sutliff went solo with the wryly titled five-song "Another Jangly Mess" in the UK and the full-length "Only Ghosts Remain" in the States. Magically produced at the Drive-In by Easter, who also plays drums and some guitar, on the record, Sutliff deploys his pretty voice, piercing guitar solos, understated keyboards and Beatlesque pure-pop sensibility to make a state-of-the-art exposition on the power pop genre. "Only Ghosts Remain" repeats the EP's five songs in slightly different arrangements and adds six more (including a spiffy cover of Richard Thompson's "Small Town Romance") of equal quality, four of which employ Howard Wuelfing as bassist. Trouser Press

Songs
Same Way Tomorrow / Elam Bridge / Stupid Idea / Always Love You / Second Choice / You Could've Told Me / Small Town Romance / Couldn't Help Myself / Didn't Mean To / Won't Be Feeling Blue / Different World

18 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

Anonymous said...

Bobby Sutcliff was and continues to be a major talent. This album is brilliant, always has been a favourite of mine...i believe Another Jangly Mess was like demo versions of the tracks he and Mitch finished off here so indeed it makes more sense to post this wonderful album. The great thing about Mr. Sutcliffe is that all the albums hes done these last few years are all masterful, fabulous creations. To see his name on any new album is a garentee that its gonna be another perfect listen from start to finish....
mick d

Anonymous said...

I definitely have to second what Mick D. wrote. If the name Bobby Sutliff is on the album, then it's going to be good. Very good.

His singing voice appeals to me and he writes good songs, but the thing he does that makes him really stand out is the guitar sounds that he gets on the records to complement and add to the overall effect.

By now I don't expect people like Bobby Sutliff to become stars, but it would be nice if he at least had the recognition of Matthew Sweet (who I also think is great).

Ace

TuneLovinJacket said...

thanks for a great album. i've been looking for some of his stuff.

Anonymous said...

terrific site, angelo. i've found many treasures here, starting w/the cretones' "thin red line" which i've been missing for so long... hope one day you'll add the brains' self-titled debut here... they were from atlanta, on the mercury label & have never been issued on CD (that i've been able to find)... thanks for all the golden pop memories!

Anonymous said...

Great sounding CD. I was not familiar with the Windbreakers/Sutliff prior to seeing them mentioned here (although a huge Big Star fan since the mid 70s, and a huge Byrds fan even before that) While listening to this, I just ordered 2 of Bobby Sutliff's most recent CDs.

Anonymous said...

Not only is Bobby Sutliff a powerpop maestro (with every one of his albums a winner), he's also an all around great guy. In a perfect world, he'd be held in high esteem by groupies eveywhere : )

Buy his latest album "On A Ladder" ...its one of the best albums of the year and quite possibly the best with Sutliff's name on it.

Here's hoping he continues to craft these perfect albums thru the years ahead.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the nice comments! OGR remains my favorite of all my discs and it was truly a pleasure to make. Mitch and I had so much fun coming up with parts for it.

For those of you who look for my name on new discs - check out the upcoming new cd by Roy Loney. I get to play guitar on one song.

Bobby Sutliff

Anonymous said...

Bobby,

Thrilled to have you commenting, and let me tell you this is not casual praise. I like a lot of music, I love yours.

Ace

P.S. to ALL: I've got all of Bobby Sutliff's more current CD's and encourage you to buy them. You will not be disappointed and you will be rewarding someone who puts out really great music. I got mine through Not Lame music on-line.

Bart said...

Just gotta say...thank you. This album is a desert island disk for me....got me through heart break...youth...a few misdirections...absolutely brilliant to hear it again (I had it on tape...lol). Bobby's new one, "On A Ladder" is a gem as well. Thanks for the inspiration Bobby.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great album and indeed a great site. I've downloaded other albums and very much appreciate the work which you put in. Any chance of Portable Pop by the Late Show. I'm trying to collect copies of all the albums on the Goldmine Power Pop list and haven't been able to find a copy yet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for putting these CD's together! They are a particular treasure for the uninitiated.

I could not agree more with the deserved praise for Bobby Sutliff's work. I met him at an IPO concert a few years back in L.A. and beside being a truly talented artist he was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Buy all his music and you absolutely will not be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I love Bobby Sutliff! Thanks for posting this. And yes, buy the new Bobby Sutliff "On a Ladder" CD. It's great.

Doug Aigner said...

I'd love it if you would post "Jangly Mess", as it's the only thing I don't have...

angelo said...

visit this place
http://powerpopcriminals.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/bobby-sutliff-another-jangly-mess-1996/

tomg said...

Thank you and thank you (i guess)

beatlefan_aps said...

Would it be possible for you to reupload this one (as lossless)?

TSGargoyle said...

Thank you.