Sunday, August 19

HYAA! - GET YER HYAA-HYAA'S OUT! (1987)


















Hyaa! were arguably the finest indie-rock band to come out of Washington, D.C. in the Eighties. Alice Despard's smoky voice and unusual guitar style (full of drones and alternate tunings) gave the band a lush, exotic sound not usually associated with the genre, while Les Doerfler's bass and Alex Deseabra's drums provided a solid foundation. Their 1987 album "Get Your Hyaa-Hyaa's Out!" (the title was meant as a pronunciation aid), produced by Mitch Easter, is a lost classic and has never been reissued on CD. Alice Despard's current band, the Alice Despard Group have two excellent CDs, Push Me Pull You and Alice Despard Group, in print. In 1990, she released a beautiful acoustic CD, recorded at home. www.doubtfulpalace.com

Songs
Valhalla / Sun Go Black / Blood On The Saddle / Thrushes / Curve Of The Heart / Kingdom Kum / Baby's First Bounce / Mongolian Labor Camp Theme / Four Grey Towns / Dylan Cowsleeve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never even heard of, but from the description I think I will be glad to! I'll check back in after download.

Ace

Peregrina said...

Hey, Angelo!
Just stumbled onto your blog....
I am honored to be here in your vaults.
Very, very cool site!

I will hang onto those old master tapes as long
as I can. Someday, maybe there will be a re-issue of this album. I personally still can't listen to it, as is the case with many of my older recordings!

Fondly,

Alice