Wednesday, August 15

THE TELEFONES - ROCK-OLA! (1981)


















The Telefones were a mid-'60s rock inspired new wave band from Dallas, TX. After they formed in 1979, Jerry Dirkx played lead guitar and sang, Chris Dirkx played drums, Steve Dirkx played bass, and Will Clay played saxophone and synthesizer. The band's first single, The Ballad of Jerry Godzilla, was released in May of 1980 on Dallas' VVV label. Six months later, the LP Vibration Change was issued. Clay left the fold and was replaced by a trumpet player/vocalist/keyboardist by the name of Mark Griffin. Rock-Ola!, the group's second and final full-length, was released in mid-1981. Steve Dirkx joined the Teenage Queers (one highly collectable single on VVV Records). In 2006, Steve Dirkx released The Butcher's Covers, an album which consists almost entirely of inventive sonic assemblages of Beatles songs snippets. For obvious reasons, it was not commercially available. A few months, Steve Dirkx also posted on YouTube some vintage video footage of the Telefones on stage, although no longer available. Griffin would later be known as MC 900 Ft. Jesus. The link to the first album has been removed because Steve Dirkx is currently selling a CD-R copy of it. This reissue includes some live versions of the second album. Andy Kellman.

Rock-Ola!
Brave New World / Sports / Automatic Man / Mon Cherie / Stranger In A Strange Land / The Arabian Wars / Radio Rebels / Farmer's Daughter / Circles Under Sunshine (Circle Dub)

8 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

WZJN said...

Fantastic site you've got here - just stumbled on it and very happy that I did.

Love the Headboys post from below!

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Great posts as usual; thank you very much. And let's the good times roll!
JF France

(L)SD said...

Actually, 'Steve Dirkx' released "The Butchers Covers" in 1998, as a cassette, then shortly thereafter as a CD-R. Steve and Jerry Dirkx were involved with The Teenage Queers / Bobby Soxx concurrently with the Telefones (1980-ish)
The Telefones first LP is available from me as a CD-R, and includes bonus live versions of songs from the 2nd LP.
Yours
Steve Dirkx
Dallas

angelo said...

steve gimme a link if someone would like to order the first album from you

Anonymous said...

I would very much like to purchase an original vinyl or Rock-Ola! but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of where I can look?

Anonymous said...

eatmorerecords just put Rock'ola up for auction on EBay.

Unknown said...

Hi , I discovered your band The telefones on a internet radio atation ( On the live365 network )Big Time TV .
I have been looking for copies of your albums , when i came acroos this blog. I would like to get one of those CD R's of the first two albums.
How can I make a purchase.
thank You

A new fan
John
http://cypublishing.com
info@cypublishing.com