Friday, June 8

TROUBLE & LOVE
JUSTIN TROUBLE (1983) ROCK OLA (1984)
Justin Love (a.k.a.Justin trouble is one of the most unknown artist of the 80's, but also one of the most treasured (at least on my side...)
For the ones who don't know him, if you like Sylvain Sylvain and his pals, you'll love Justin Trouble (Love). Here are two great reviews about the Justin Love (Trouble) artist. The french edition of the first LP had a different artwork than the American issue.

Since the release of the self-titled LP "Justin Trouble" this guy is a mystery to me. Probably from New York, sounding sometimes like Byrds east-coast revisited", also akin to the pop-tinged r'n'r of Sylvain Sylvain or even of Jim Basnight's Moberlys, the guy was well and truly highly inspired for hooks and melodies. Kind of elegant pop with street credibility if this means something ! The 17 tracks of the (first) LP alternated fresh melodic rockers (with Johnny Thunders-like guitar licks) and echoed ballads.
A perfect soundtrack for urban romances. His ballads carried the same charm and fragility you could hear in "So Alone": somewhat of a nostalgic tone slightly timeless. Definitively worth seeking... Fans of more r'n'r-oriented stuff (read Thunders-oriented) should investigate his first single "No love"/"Ponytail", released prior to the LP. Dolls affiliation for sure, because not only did Johnny Thunders produced and co-wrote "No love", but he often had the band open shows for his Heartbreakers. Actually "Justin Trouble" was the first record released, the second having been released under the flickname Justin Love a year later. He also released two singles. bubblegum.the.punk

 Ponytail (1980) ZS (42 mb)
Ponytail / No Love
Touch The Sky (1982) ZS (79 mb) 
Touch The Sky / Millionnaire

Justin Trouble
(1983) ZS (312 mb)
Looking For A World / Missile / Rosy Sweaters / Let's Get Together / Rockin' Susie / Gimme A Kiss / You've Got Me Running / I Wanna Tell You Something / Wake Up In The Morning / Hangin' Around / Sadness, Stay Away / I Don't Know Why / Watch Her Bop / Broken Heart / Where's The Love / Pressure Plot

Rock-Ola (1984) ZS (282 mb)
No Question / Six Gun / Grey Clouds / New Doors / Gold Mine / In A Dream / Scoot / Frustration / Why / That's For sure / Midnight / New Musik / Top Of The World

7 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

Anonymous said...

It seems you made some mistake here, the link for the first Justin Trouble album is not correct.

angelo said...

trouble fixed

Anonymous said...

Let's Get it On- Classic

Tom Montalbano said...

I was Justin's drummer in the late 70's/early '80's. Truthfully, I never appreciated his music then as much as I do now. I guess I was a bit of a musical snob back then, being 16 or 17 and into much more "sophisticated" rock and jazz music. I didn't think much of Johnny in those days, as he was always either really high or crashing and vomiting whenever I saw him. I guess these are the reasons I never made it onto the album.

I did play on "Pony Tail" and "No Love." These were recorded in a home studio in Garden City, New York. The engineer only had one decent drum mic, so we had to cut the original drum track live, with the good mic on the kick drum, then re-cut the snare drum using this mic afterward. That's why the drum track sounds like a cheesy junior high school marching band.

Justin, with myself and my good friend, Bret Wilder, played Max's Kansas City several times while I was in high school. We also opened for The Heartbreakers on many occasions. Today, teenybopper neighbors of mine who are cult followers of The NY Dolls are totally impressed by the fact that I played those big pink drums more than once!

Machine Gun Kristin said...

bummer, both links don't work. I sure wish someone would re-release this stuff, it's hard to find!

Unknown said...

Any chance of reposting? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!