Wednesday, June 27

DANGTRIPPERS - TRANSPARENT BLUE ILLUSION (1991)


















The australian label Zero Hour Records is back in action, so i have had to remove the post. You can purchase it from this link Zero Hour
Hailing from Iowa, The Dangtrippers released Days Between Stations on REM manager Jefferson Holt's Dog Gone label, which neatly explored the tension between Devin Hill's pure pop longings and Doug Roberson's quirky psychedelic leanings. As Days Between Stations was being released, Devin Hill left the band to be replaced by Pat White, trading winsomeness for some muscle without affecting the quality of the band much. Hill went on to make a couple of nice records for the short-lived Big Deal label, while the band released Transparent Blue Illusion, a hard to find item, on the australian label Zero Hour. They also contributed to the Plimsouls (Inch by Inch) and Alex Chilton (In The Street) tributes around 1991. The Dangtrippers dissolved in the early 90s, at which point Roberson formed Head Candy (click here) When that folded he went the retro route, first with some of his Dangtrippers pals in the Bent Scepters, and then with the Hammond grooving Diplomats of Solid Sound. (notes from Little Hits blog)

Songs
Raga / Headhunter / Grey / Pictures In The Sky / Henry Slade / Damien / Antigone / Shane / Laughing Gas / Sundial / Piper Laurie / Medieval

12 comments:

angelo said...

pwd: password

Anonymous said...

Wow - I lived in the Mid-West and would go see these guys...and I never even heard of this album. Doug also had a band call The Swarays that were really good pop.

angelo said...

well, you got me on this - i had a Swarays song on the Raspberries Tribute - but i never thought Doug Robertson was involved - i'm gonna dig this part - thx

MrQwerty said...

Only knew about this band from a contibution to a Alex Chilton tribute. Glad to hear more. Thanks Angelo

powerpop said...

great album, but I always had good taste. I released this in Australia and also released Devin Hill first solo album before Big Deal did. My label Zero Hour released some of the best power pop from around the world. I may even do a box set of the labels releases.

powerpop said...

Hey Angelo. I'm starting my record label again and I'm pressing this CD again. Can you take the share link down and point it to my site.

www.zerohourrecords.com.au

thanks.

Anonymous said...

Angelo;
Fantastic Blog! I was wondering if you could repost this album album for those of us who missed it the first time around. I understand you respecting powerpop's request to take it down,but his website doesn't even have this album available! I would greatly appreciate it if you posted Days Between Stations by the Dangtrippers as well.

Anonymous said...

Could you re-post this, please? Zero Hour records seems to exist only in that guy's imagination-- the record isn't available and, based on the progress he's made in the last six months, probably never will be.

Anonymous said...

maybe you have contact info for ZERO HOUR via angelos comment to find out when this is actually going to be available, if ever, because there has been no update since October 2009, when Mr Zero indicated that "...problems with production matters and other licensing issues that put a hold on things." and alleges these issues have been worked out. THAT was 7 months ago.

Anonymous said...

Can you please repost this, it is unavailable anywhere in the entire universe, thanks!

just kidding said...

suppose you could repost this until it actually is reissued, there is so much garbage being issued and reissued I won't buy anything without hearing it first, too many times 1 good track is put out as example for publicity and turns out only good track because rest of album is total krap

Anonymous said...

Dude, I am looking at the ZERO hour page in another window, as I write, and this is NOT available, NOT as in N-O-T available

coming soon, has been coming how many years,