DYAN DIAMOND - IN THE DARK (1978)
Dyan Diamond was an obscure, L.A.-based new waver with strong rockabilly roots rock leanings, Dyan Diamond showed a lot of promise as both a singer and a composer in the late 1970s but never broke through commercially. Diamond had some prominent figures in her corner, including producer manager songwriter Kim Fowley (known for his work with everyone from the Hollywood Argyles to The Runaways) and the L.A.-based DJ Rodney Bingenheimer (who was playing punk and new wave at a time when most commercial radio DJs wouldn't go near either one). But even so, she fell through the cracks. Diamond was only 14 when, in 1976, she auditioned for Venus & the Razor Blades, a punk oriented band that Fowley was putting together. Performing Kiss' "Do You Love Me" during the audition, Diamond sounded older than 14--in fact, those who heard Diamond's lead vocals on such Venus & the Razor Blades recordings as "Finer Things in Life" and "Workin' Girl" could have easily assumed that she was in her early 20s. After Venus & the Razor Blades' breakup in 1977, Diamond went solo and continued to work with Fowley. In 1978, she signed with MCA and recorded her promising, Fowley-produced debut solo album, In The Dark--regrettably, the LP didn't sell, and Diamond was dropped by MCA. The singer continued to play the Hollywood/L.A. rock circuit for a few years after that, performing a lot of original material that wasn't on In The Dark. But Diamond never signed with another label or recorded a second album. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that the long out of print In the Dark will ever be reissued on CD. So if you come across a copy of this LP, grab it at once. AMG REVIEW
ZS (222 mb)
Songs
Baby, What You Want Me to Do / Western Avenue / Hot / Teenage Radio Stars /Someone Like Me / Back on the Strip / Mystery Dance / Animal Girl / Nervous / Your Neighborhood / In the Dark / Gonna Rock Ourselves to Death


10 comments:
pwd: password
Woo! Thanks for sharing this gem. So glad I found you.
I'd love to hear this. Is there another link for it?
Ever come across Dyan's version of Bend Me Shape Me? Amazing piece of work. Have it on a crappy tape from who knows when. Carbon dating puts it around the same time the Stranglers would have made their first U.S. visit. They interviewed on a Boston station, great atpe but another story entirely.
I remember seeing Dyan at the Roxy... and I remember being at her place once with her brother Dave from the band Berlin. I only have some vague memory of being in their kitchen. I loved her version of Mystery Dance by Elvis Costello.
Finally... First time i see this long lost gem on the www.
I was 3 when it was released and i can't remember not listening & dancing to Dyan until the vinyl wore out.
Thanks a lot, great blog!
Evil hearted Ada
Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.
I had it on my hard Disk but till now not listenned to it.
Generally I am not surfing on Internet but I had your blog on my favorite list.
Alone in the hotel and decide to take (again) this album.
Yes, really fine, Love the harmonica on it ... You make my day ... my night if you prefer.
Thanks
I knew Dyan very well, she was a sweetheart. We even did a nice photoshoot under the Hollywood Sign in a flight jumpsuit type of outfit with my red car, great shots, great artist, nice person. Her brother Dave was interested in the group Berlin, so I introduced him to their manager Perry and he wound up joining the group.
There is evidence that she did some live broadcasts, but I've never been able to track them down. If you do a Google Search for "dyan diamond" "old waldorf" there's a story that KSAN broadcast her gig at the Old Waldorf: https://digitalcollections.usfca.edu/digital/collection/p15129coll8/id/8924/ and another listing that she did one on the UC Berkeley station KALX.
Post a Comment