Friday, January 7

MACH FIVE - MACH FIVE (1998)
















Hailing from New-York, Mach Five was formed in the spring of 1995, When the band short-lived's career ended, Darien set the wheels in motion for what would become AeroVox (available at cdbaby).

Mach Five's self-titled debut is a solid collection of hooky, melodic guitar pop, despite its slightly derivative qualities. At his best, lead singer/songwriter Jeff Darien has a knack for catchy melodies, which the band delivers crisply. Mach Five make these traditional styles sound fresh by playing them without pretension or guilt. That is the key factor in Mach Five's being an enjoyable debut with. AMG

Songs
Can't Stop It / You're My Religion / This and Back Again / Chuck / Shiny Shirt / I'm Alive / Sunday's Here / Spacemantra / Here's a Call / Feel You / Rust

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one! I heard "This And Back Again" back when this came out and bought the cd....i think remember a video for it then, but alas, like many, they disappeared...."Shiny Shirt" is another great tune too.....great post!!! Jim

Kwai Chang said...

Wow! I thought I was the only person who owned this. I think Jeff Darian had another group (Aerovox[?]) but I can't find any of their stuff. But anyway, the song I'm Alive was theme music for X-games one year (I think). Also, the song Chuck was always pretty fierce with its lyric "I'm looking forward to your daughter...she's a lovely girl". The whole album is fresher than most of it genre. But just try finding a copy! They also released an ep but I can't recall the name(tie me up, tie me down???). Awesome choice and the first time I've seen this posted.

Kwai Chang said...

PS- This also had a different cover when it was first released.

davidblunt said...

Thanks! This is awesome. Met the singer back in the mid 90's. Really nice guy. They got sucked up and spit out by the Majors during the 3 weeks that everyone thought Blur could make it in America.